Sepsis patients suffer from a series of diverse complications arising from the presence of pathogens and/or their toxins in the blood or tissues, which cause a rapidly progressing hyperactive host immune response and cellular dysfunction leading to mortality rates near 50% depending on disease severity.
The syndrome places a major burden on the national healthcare systems of the global marketplace, which for the purposes of this report is comprised of the US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK.
There are currently no marketed drugs to treat sepsis and current treatment options are limited to careful monitoring, pathogen-targeting therapies, and supportive care and symptom management. For the purposes of this report, GlobalData defines the sepsis market to include sales of sepsis-specific, host-directed products in patients 18 years and older.
Therefore a detailed analysis and sales projections for antibiotics is beyond the scope of this report.
The projection of annual sales for medical devices is also beyond the scope of this report, however anticipated launch dates and patient uptake estimates for these products is included in the forecast.
The analysts expect the market to experience modest growth that is primarily driven by the increased uptake of novel therapies - led by Asahi Kasei Pharma America Corporation’s ART-123 - in select patients as the critical care community regains confidence in sepsis-specific products and as more data is generated on their overall efficacy and safety.
Primary research revealed that skepticism, cynicism, and cautious optimism towards sepsis pipeline products is related to recent high profile failures of products in clinical development.
- Based on interviews with key opinion leaders (KOLs), we have identified the major unmet needs in the sepsis marketplace.
Key Questions Answered
- Will the leading pipeline agents fulfil these unmet needs during the forecast period (2016-2021)?
- What research and development (R&D) strategies will companies leverage to compete in the future sepsis marketplace?
- Which patient population(s) are most likely to be targeted for sepsis-specific product development?
- What clinical and commercial factors are likely to influence sepsis product uptake in the US and 5EU (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK)?
- The anlaysts project the sepsis market in the US and 5EU to grow from approximately $26m in 2016 to $354m in 2021, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 69%.
- This solid growth will be driven by the increased uptake of novel therapies - led by AKP’s anticoagulant ART-123 - in select patients as the critical care community regains confidence in sepsis-specific products and more data is generated on their overall efficacy and safety.
- KOLs interviewed by the analaysts were cautiously optimistic regarding the clinical benefits of pipeline products in their currently selected trial participants and reiterated further improvements are necessary in an area with major unmet medical needs.
- The analysts anticipates that firms will increasingly turn to innovative R&D strategies, in particular the exploration of alternative approaches to clinical trial design and improved patient targeting - such as adaptive design trials and companion diagnostics - in order to increase developmental efficiency, minimize upfront risk, and gain a competitive advantage over rivals.
- Overview of sepsis, severe sepsis, and septic shock, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and current treatment options.
- Topline sepsis market revenue from 2016-2021.
Annual cost of therapy (ACOT) and major pipeline product sales in this forecast period are included*.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, R&D strategies, and clinical trial design for the sepsis market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, synopses of innovative early-stage projects, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline products.
An interactive clinical and commercial analyzer tool is available. - Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global sepsis market.
Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global sepsis market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the sepsis market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Please find more about OpportunityAnalyzer: Sepsis - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2021 at reports.zursh.com
Click on below items to see free updates about the topic covered.
Click on below items to see free resources and reports about the topic covered.